Monday, September 3, 2007

2007 Iowa State Fair

This should have been posted a LONG time ago, but there were so many good pictures to choose from that highlighted our day. We had a good time with my parents, Rachel, and Jared and Allison. It was HOT - Jared said it was a beautiful day, but it was hot and sticky!!! I had never been to the state fair (and I know why - you shouldn't take your kids to enjoy all the good stuff!) before I met Jason. I think we went together the first year we were dating and I don't know if we have missed one yet - except a couple years while we were in STL.

Highlights of the fair:
1. Riding or pretending to drive all the new tractors
2. Varied industries building - lots of "innovative" stuff that you don't need
3. Craft buildings that show all the cool stuff that you could make if you had time or talent
4. 4-H building - I have to put that since Jason was in 4-H. I looked for some of my kids' projects but the building is sooooo big and I didn't know what they had brought.
5. Beef tent, pork tent, beer tent - opps sorry I didn't mean that one - I don't drink but there were enough people that were to make up for me not!
6. funnel cake, egg rolls, turkey legs, HUGE corn dogs, euros...
7. Doll houses - so cool and intricate
8. butter cow - it's an Iowa thing
9. ICE CREAM - real or nitro or dippin' dots all are good
10. Slide
11. finding cheap parking in someone's lawn and hoping that your car is there when you get back and not dinged because they parked someone 3 inches from you!
12. Big pig, cow, boar etc - too bad they would make a terrible steak or pork chop!
13. Pioneers little farm where kids get to be a farmer!
14. And new this year - a building dedicated to baby animals where they are born during the fair and you can pet and hold them. It was stinky but the kids didn't mind!



Come join us and the rest of Iowa next year!

2 comments:

Kim Harms said...

I have not been to the State Fair since I met Corey. I went almost every year when I was young, but my anti-crowd hubby has zero interest in spending a day there with the family.

Anonymous said...

it's gyro brenda we are not in france (euro?)