Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Pi Day!

I am lazy and today have the house quiet while the kids went to school. What does this mean - catch up on picking up the house without someone dirtying it immediately and get work on a couple blogs that are long past due!

Every nerdy math teacher gets excited about March 14. I bet that you didn't even know it was a special day did you? I also bet that you don't care that it is Pi Day! My kids were looking forward to this day for a week. Mainly because they didn't have to do "math" - wrong and get to eat pi(e). It happened to be the day before spring break which is typically laid back anyway.

Fourth hour sharing their singing abilities! I found these songs on the internet - I didn't write them!

We started celebrating pi day on Thursday with a lab to understand where pi came from. On Friday Mr. Fox, our principal, came in and read a book called Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi. Then we sang some great Pi Day songs - see videos. I had several centers set up that worked with pi and places that we use it, but don't even know. I (with the help of my awesome husband) and made 13 oreo pies that topped off the celebration.


Abby, Corey, Hannah and Andrew beading a necklace that represented pi.
Amanda, Celeste and Brandi making a pictograph representing how many of each digit showed up in pi.

Ethan, Travis and Shane using pi to figure their hat size. Real life application!

Paige and Sydney writing pi-ku!


Math isn't always boring or unuseful. I hope that my kids see that math isn't hard and can be fun.

As Jason said as I walked out the door on Friday morning - all your goofiness wrapped up into one day! Next year I will let you know earlier so you can celebrate with me!

1 comment:

amy said...

you are a dork. creative, but dorky! :0)