Friday, December 12, 2008

Fun Christmas Games

Okay, this is Jason and I'm hijacking the Blog to put up a fun post. (Yes, I know it's technically not hijacking since I'm a 'contributor'. And yes, I had to look up how to spell hijacking) This post is about a fun game that I like to play this time of year that involves Christmas decorations. I thought it would be a good idea to talk about it a couple of weeks before Christmas, so that all of you faithful readers out there would have a chance to try it out as you go to family and friend's homes this season for parties, meals, gift exchanges, etc.

There is no official title for the game (but I'm open for suggestions). Basically, it goes like this. Find a set of decorations and then rearrange them slightly and then wait to see what happens. I'm not talking about moving the Christmas tree to a different room. These have to be small things. I've taken some pictures as examples for you to look at.

How do you win? Well, let's just say that you can't lose....UNLESS your final project makes the host incredibly mad, in which case, you lose. You can win in a couple of different ways. 1. You win if after you do the rearrangement, the host never notices the rearrangement before you leave. You will be laughing to yourself all night and all the way home as you anticipate the reaction the host will have once they find it don't know who did it. 2. You can also win if the host finds the rearrangement while you are there and you get to see their (potentially) classic reaction and have a good laugh about it. 3. You get bonus points if you do a rearrangement, they find it while you are there, and then you do another before you leave.

Anyway, here's some examples from around our home. The first one can be played with any nativity scene. (Let me just sate that I intend absolutely NO DISRESPECT to the nativity scene, it just always works wonderfully) If you look closely at the scene in the picture you will see a small Christmas moose (borrowed from another area of the house) next to the sheep and angels. This produces widely different reactions from different people. We did this at my parents house with a small snowman and my Mom hasn't put out the nativity scene since.

The next one can be played where ever you have a set of individual letters arraigned intentionally to spell a word. For example, the popular Christmas word 'Noel.'

'Noel' works great because there are many potential variations (some real and some sort of real). Here are some that I have thought of.

My favorite.

Actually word.


Sounds like it could be an actual word. (Only, knoll)


Potential baby names (for someone else)


Words that are just funny.

Well, there you have it. I'm sure that none of you will get nearly as much enjoyment out of this as I do. I'm also sure that I've convinced you all what a sick person I am. I also have to apologize to my wife, since I'm sure that none of you will now EVER want to invite us to your home. (and I'm also sure that I will no longer get to be a 'contributor' to the blog)

Merry Christmas everyone!!! Since I average about one post per year, I hope you all have a great Christmas, (and New Year, and Valentine's Day, President's Day, St. Patricks Day, Mother and Father's Day, Flag Day, Groundhog Day, Earth Day, etc...you get the picture.)

Seriously though, Thank you to all of you who faithfully read this blog. I know it brings Brenda great pleasure to post all of the silly things we do and we both enjoy having this format to use to share our lives with you. I know we'll see some of you this season and we'll be able to wish you all Merry Christmas personally. To the rest of you, please be assured that you have a special place in our hearts and that we wish you all the best this season. Our prayer is that God blesses you and provides for you the way he has for us.

7 comments:

jared said...

Wasn't that Grandma putting the snowman in mom's nativity scene?

Brenda Rae said...

Let's just say that I have left the Leon out all year. Ally notices once and awhile that it is wrong and asks how to spell it correctly.

Now I am a little curious how long the moose has been in the nativity set without me noticing it????

Watch out Jared and Allison - Jason is coming tomorrow and I will be an accomplice.

Anonymous said...

Brenda & Jason - I know you through Sheryl's blog - anyway - I died laughing at this post. You mihgt want to put up a warning not to read it when everyone else in the house is sleeping - I almost woke them up. Too hilarious. We have a friend who hosts a Christmas Tree decorating party every year and a couple of years ago her baby Jesus was "kidnapped" and was sold on e-bay! So at least you keep things somewhat in the same territory! Thanks for the laughs. - Laura Sadikoglu

amy said...

Jason~ you crack me up! Only you would come up with a game to rearrange Christmas decorations! but... i'm going to play along! yes sir! i missed an opportunity at the anderson's last night for the Care Group Christmas party, but i'll not miss another opportunity this year!

Anonymous said...

Jason ... I love your creative idea ... I'm already doing it too! I love it when they don't notice, and later you hear stories and they don't know you did it ... ha~

Have a great Christmas .... not shoveling sunshine in Arizona but the mountains have snow. It's cold .... in the 40s at night.

love,
Laura

Anonymous said...

I sent you an email on your southslope account. Did you get it.
Dale
dalemullikin60@gmail.com

Laura Lynn said...

My family has done the Noel game with my Grandma's angels since I can remember. My second daughter is named Noël (4) and this year she was the first one to switch my Grandma's Noel angels. You're not the only crazy one out there. Fun post. Merry Christmas.