Friday, June 22, 2007

More Stupid Birds

I am a water lover - okay that means pools. I get sick about think about being on a boat, watching a boat on TV, or pretending to be on a boat. I was a lifeguard for over 10 years and have my fun at cleaning pools. You might see where this post is going.

I worked at East Iowa Bible Camp for five years before I got swept away and married the sweetest man alive. I think that John Cox was mad at Jason for my love-sick behavior my last two years at camp! I helped John every year clean out the pool. It was always a guess at what we would find as we cleaned out the pool. What would have scampered in thinking it was getting a drink to find out that it was 5 feet deep? Or didn't know that the ice really wasn't quite frozen as its life flew before its beady eyes as it sunken to the bottom. Usually a raccoon or possum had found its burial in our little pool. During the summer I could always assume weekly that I would catch a little critter in my skimmers - deal or alive. I hated the alive ones because they surprised me when I opened the skimmer.

Last night in Iowa received a lightning show beyond belief. I wish God would put them during waking hours so I could enjoy them with a smile on my face instead of a growl - hoping my kids don't wake up! I looked out the window just to make sure that we weren't going to get blown away. There was water everywhere! We have a storm sewer drain close to our house that have a "filter" thingy to keep out the dirt from the lots that aren't built on yet. It was plugged and the water was probably about 8 inches deep almost up to our storm sewer. This doesn't mean much to you, but to me it means a lot of mud on the road by our house! Why I watered the grass yesterday is beyond me.

This morning I looked at the backyard to see if the pool was over-flowing - about 3 inches to spare and really dirty. So dirty something was floating on top and hadn't sunk to the bottom or got eaten by the filter. Hummmm we have no trees with leaves around us so what is it? It can't be an animal, they would ruin the sides getting up there and there is plenty of water flooding the yard to get a drink. Could it be a bird? Gross. How does that happen? I was wondering the other day about birds. There are so many birds and the amount that I see dead doesn't match up. How long can birds live? Well this poor little gross guy's life ended last night with a plunge into my pool AND I can't find the net.

1 comment:

amy said...

ewww! we had a dead baby (featherless) bird in our side yard a month or so ago. i made chuck dispose of it. i don't do dead animals. a few days later, i saw a nest with a mama bird on the other side of the house perched on a gutter. if the baby bird was from that nest, how in the world did he get to the other side of the house?