Monday, July 9, 2007

PBS Favorites

As a kid which shows did you watch? We didn't have cable - amazingly my parents got it after all of us graduated from high school. My parents were strict on what we watch - which I am grateful for! The only thing on in the mornings beside the good ol' Price is Right was Sesame Street. A show that my kids are enjoying right now. Ally goes around all day talking about the number of the day. Drew pretends he is cookie monster eating the letter of the day.

Another favorite is Reading Rainbow. It used to be on at lunch time and my dad would let us watch it after the markets - if you aren't a farmer you would have no clue what the markets are on the noon news. BORING!!! Who cares about the price of hogs in 6 months!!!! I was looking for something educational to fill my little girl's head while I made supper and this came up. She loves it and the same black guy still hosts the show - but he has definitely aged quite a bit. She loves it and sings the song all the time.

PBS gets so little attention for kids shows, but there are so many great educational ones that get my kids going. Jakers is a english farm animal one which if you have is HILARIOUS!!! We don't have it in Iowa, but watched it all the time in Wisconsin last summer. We did buy some DVDs of the show online.

My only warning is stay away from Caliou. He is an annoying 4 year old that whines all the time to get his mommy to do something. They love it but it has to be teaching terrible habits and will garautee to drive you insane!

2 comments:

AKA said...

Ha! The markets! :) In my house, we all had to be stone silent during the noon markets. No talking, no chewing, no moving until the markets were over.

Thanks for the tips on the good (& bad) tv shows. We get 4 PBS stations here now - and when she's older Kylee will be watching that over the cable shows

Brenda Rae said...

Same with us and the markets - I think my dad turned the tv up to the loudest volume and we were still too loud!

Jakers is on every day on channel 9 at 2:30.

But don't get me wrong - we have our select few favs on the Disney channel (Mickey Clubhouse) and Nick Jr. (Blue, Little Enstein, Dora, Backyardigans).

We have gone in spurts and right now we are Bob the Builder fans and Reading Rainbow and an occassional Little Enstein.