Thursday, July 19, 2007

Second Most Important Decision

Ten years ago I (we) made the second most important decision of our lives. I don't think that I thought much of it that night when Jason asked me to marry him, but no doubt the 15 months prior I had put much thought into it.

Our story started somewhere the beginning of February after a parents' banquet for TSC. My mom had had back surgery so my dad came up for the evening. Having to get back to the indians (Rachel and Chris) at home, he left early and sent me to some after festivities with the Shupps. We headed over to the Days house where a lot of our freshman friends were hanging out. I met Jason that night, but thought he was boring since he wouldn't get off the couch to participate in Gestures. I know now why he wouldn't get up - he can't act!

Throughout the next several weeks, we saw each other at TSC and another retreat that we both went on. (I went because he was going - I should have stayed back since my good friend Kristy was visiting - please forgive me Kristy!!) We spent way too much time together and my mother hens - Sheryl and Jen - let me know that!!! At VEISHEA (college celebration of the first 5 colleges at ISU - Vet, Engr, Ind Sci, Home Ec, Ag), my friends and I were going to go down at about midnight to the celebration. Jason was going home for something, but stayed with me for awhile. Sheryl knocked on my door and when she saw that Jason was there gave me the death glare of define this or I will.... Scared of Sheryl - we made it official that night that we were dating - April 19, 1996. (Chuck you were still in HS.)

Fifteen months later and after learning much about each other, going through the normal ups and downs of relationship, 2 oversea trips, we figured out that we were going to spend the rest of our lives together - whatever that meant. I told Jason that I would know when he was going to propose, so he challenged me to tell someone. I don't think my mom actually remembers this, but I told her the Saturday before while sitting on the blue chair in the kitchen that he would proposed on July 19th (Saturday). It was a month anniversary and we planned a date to CR to watch a movie and go to supper. Well little did I know that Jason had slightly other plans.

After work on Friday nights Jason would come down to the camp where I was working. He would patiently wait as I closed up books, balanced money and redistributed it into envelops for the campers the next day. There are so many funny stories that go along with this process - but those can be left for those who know them - Shirley and Floyd! We headed over to the dorms where I lived and hung out in the living room. I wanted to ask if he had the ring in his pocket, but he swears he didn't.

Being extremely exhausted after 5th grade camp, I wanted to go to bed. We had a girl that was diabetic and through miscommunication with her parents - we messed up on her medication. There was a chance that in the middle of the night we would have to take her to Iowa City and I had the keys to the information and her meds. After Jason left, I got ready for bed and was half asleep when a knock on my door. Scrambling for appropriate clothes - thinking it was Nate Bunting for the keys - I got out of bed to answer it. It was 12:15 a.m. Saturday, July 19, 1997. Jason had a dozen roses. I don't remember what he said but know he asked me to marry him and I obviously said yes (I hope without hesitation!)

After a little bit, I shoved him out the door since I wanted to go share the good news with my friends and my sister in her cabin. I don't think she remembers it because she was half asleep and only about 10 - yikes and she is getting old soon she will be a married old lady too!

The part that I don't get to tell because I wasn't there was asking my parents. I know that Jason was probably very nervous. He told me that he asked him right before coming down to camp. After asking them they said sure and then went right ahead with telling him about their new computer that they had gotten that week.

Ten years later and it seems like yesterday. We have gone through a lot in these last ten years and I wouldn't want to be with anyone else except for you - Jason Willis!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Just precious. Love. Thought we might see you at the old camp here tonight. Where it all happened. I hope you went on a really nice date instead. Still planning on seeing you this weekend.
Love, Sarah

amy said...

10 years... wow... you're old!

Anonymous said...

You noted that Chuck was still in high school, we were already married.