Sunday, August 26, 2007

Helping Change the Tire

Remember way back to care group when Jason asked everyone to write the steps of how to change our tires??? Many of us wrote down cell phone numbers of our spouses. Last spring I don't think I blogged about it but a tragedy came when a high school friend changed my tire when Jason was in Wisconsin. The tire fell on his hand and blew out his ring finger. Five months later and it looks pretty good except that he has completely lost his finger nail.

As I was driving home from the hospital on Friday night on the curvy river road, I was afraid of a herd of deer running in front of me. Who would I call? Jason barely remembers that I was at the hospital. Rachel can't come help me, she has the kids. Thus I drove slowly (speed limit) so that I would hopefully have plenty of time to stop.

I really depend on Jason so much for all my heavy labor - I like to think that I am strong but we all know better. I know that I can mow the lawn, but he does it faster. I tried to weed eat earlier this summer and went through the whole lawn, but it looked the same as I started. I wanted to cuss at the stupid thing. (Actually I think it was broken, but I will claim helplessness.) Every time I go to the shop to get my oil changed, they tell me I need other things. Never happens to Jason.

But my tires. Mr. Oswood purposely made us learn to change a tire in Drivers Ed. UMMM I have a dad and hopefully some day a man for that! But Mr. Oswood knew that someday we would be stuck on the side of the road not being able to call anyone (that was when cell phones were still in bags!). I learned and could probably get through it if it happened but I would drive straight to a mechanics shop to get it fixed.

This morning on the way to church we had some strange bumping. Being late as usual, Jason didn't want to stop, but I thought I wanted to check it out and of coarse - completely flat. Should Jason have changed that tire - probably not since the dr. said to avoid strenuous labor, but I helped as much as I could. This afternoon I told Jason that I was going to put the good tire back on with him watching so that I for sure knew how to do it. I did it, but promised him that if I was an hour from home he was still coming to my rescue!

Side note: Drew is hitting the tire with the mallet to put the hub cap back on.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

My mom had a flat shortly after leaving my house Friday night. Luckily, her favorite deputy was on duty and changed her tire. :) The boys have been talking about flat tires so much ever since that I actually got out once today and checked them. I'll pray for a good recovery for Jason!