Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Loving Your Husband

I have a wonderful husband as most of you already know. My mom said once that he was too good for me - I am not so sure about that! Once and awhile we try marriage improvement. Usually this starts because I want him to change something which means I need to change something. It's only fair I guess!

After cleaning the house this week and doing the laundry, I became frustrated that all the kids' clothes were inside-out and Jason's nasty work socks were bunched up at the end. I didn't realize some of this until they came out of the drier and decided that those socks really can't be clean. Knowing that I couldn't bring up the subject unless I was willing to maybe take some of the blame for the kids' clothes and maybe have to offer a change myself.

Jason has humored me this summer with our plates. I like our plastic kids plates be put with the other plates the same color. We have 3 each of 4 colors. I like to serve matching plates most of the time - unless Ally and Drew claim a color while setting the table. Jason says it doesn't matter to him the order but come on we know him better than that he would put them in color order too. I asked him to do this a couple months ago and he has faithfully done it on his own free will!!!

Back to the laundry - I told him of my frustration and asked if he would help me. Then hesitantly I asked what I could do. He asked for all of his clothes to be on white hangers. First this proves that he would want the plates colorized together, but second - who cares. But as hard as it was for me to take my random clothes off the white hangers and his off the colored hanger, I did it on Monday while Ally and I did more laundry. I should have let it go and see how long it took him to notice, but I was so proud - yes proud - of my accomplishments that I said you didn't notice??? after he changed clothes after work. He hates this game as do all men, but it didn't take him long and he smiled.

Last night he also claimed that he has shook out his socks both days. We tried to list out all the things that we have asked each other to change and we couldn't think of many, but I know there have been many. It just proves that the little things are easy to "fix."

Try it and see the joy of loving your husband.

4 comments:

Dan, Britt, Ethan, Kaylin, and Krystin said...

I had to chuckle to myself while reading this post. Afterall, Dan and I have been married the EXACT same amount of time as you 2 ;) It is SO true that about the time I think of a list of things I want Dan to change, I realize that "Huh. maybe IIIIII could change a couple things.....hmmm" And it is so true that LITTLE "improvements" CAN go a long way in making a happier marriage. Now - if Dan would just start throwing away his bottle tops instead of leaving them on top of the frige.... then I might start putting away my shoes instead of leaving them by the front door! HAH! - Britt :)

jared said...

hmmm.

sometimes i think jason and i are a lot alike, but sometimes i have to think twice about it. i couldn't even tell you how many different color hangers i have.

weirdo.

amy said...

i have a wierd hanger thing myself. we have an assortment of colored plastic hangers. i do NOT like for my shirt to be the same color as the hanger. so i never hang a white shirt on a white hanger, nor a blue shirt on a blue hanger, etc.

yeah jared... guess you'll think i'm a wierdo, too! :0)

Brenda Rae said...

I would have been the opposite, I would try and coordinate my hangers if that was important to me!